Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Bicycle Diaries: Weight Loss

As much as I ride you'd think that I would lose weight. I did. Up to a point. Then I reached terminal velocity, or whatever it's called. The same old same old wasn't working anymore.

The problem is that if you don't eat, you die. When you you ride a bike you need to eat carbs to keep from bonking. I've done that. It isn't fun.

All the magazines and ads for nutritional products tell you to consume a certain amount of protein after a ride to help build muscle. So basically I'm eating, riding, eating again. They also say that eating about six small meals throughout the day helps to keep your metabolism going. Didn't work for me.

Then there are the high protein diets. Tried that too. I gained fifteen pounds of muscle and lost zero pounds of fat. That certainly didn't help matters any. It was just another fifteen pounds that I had to drag up hills.

Finally I just went back to three meals a day and a small snack while watching TV at night. It worked. I have lost ten of the fifteen that I gained and it's all been fat. Yay me! However, I am sure that I'll reach terminal velocity once again and I'll have to try something else. That's the way it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment