Monday, August 13, 2012

I Just Don't Get It

We all learned that Sally Ride was gay after she died. This bit of information was somewhere deep inside her obituary. However, a lot of people thought it should be the headline. Seriously. Is this what you wanted?

                                                 SALLY RIDE WAS GAY!?!
Now she's dead. Oh by the way, she was the first American woman is space. It's the gay part that's throwing us. Who knew?

I thought that a person's sexuality doesn't matter. Why all the fuss? When the world learned that Jim Parsons of The Big Bang Theory is gay it was from people who were complaining that this nugget was located nowhere the first paragraph. My answer is, "So?"

Why do we feel the need to know who others are having sex with? If we had learned that Jim had been married, to a woman, for ten years and they have two children I would have thought that he has done a good job so far of keeping his private life private and I would wonder why all of a sudden he felt the urge to start talking.

I guess I just hate the fact that people have to still be in the closet in the twenty-first century. I hate the fact that there seems to be double standard at work here. I guess that some things are beyond my comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment