Thursday, September 13, 2012

Politics and The Dark Knight Rises

WARNING! Spoilers ahead. Turn back now lest ye be spoiled.

It seems that The Dark Knight Rises has struck a chord with political pundits. The conservatives see it as a Communist manifesto. They think it's an anti-achievement, eat the rich propaganda piece. In their opinion the film states that Bruce Wayne never found true happiness until he went broke. Never mind the fact that he actually found a woman that he could relate to. They also see it as pro Occupy Wall Street.

The liberals say it's anti Occupy Wall Street. They think the film is a tribute to Ayn Rand and that Wayne's John Galt-like exile was an attempt to state that nothing good ever happens unless it is initiated by the rich. The only thing that the two sides can agree on is that the film is about class warfare but they cannot agree on which side the film actually takes.

I think both sides are projecting way too much onto the movie, no pun intended. It was made by Christopher Nolan, not Leni Reifenstahl. If Nolan has any sort of political agenda I am not aware of it. Then again I don't spend all day trying to ferret out every one's political beliefs. I leave that to the people on talk radio. I couldn't care less what he believes in as long as he keeps making great art. Yeah, I know I just set myself up with that one.

The fact of the matter is that The Dark Knight Rises cost many millions of dollars to make and it wouldn't do to alienate half of the audience. That would financially irresponsible. I think that a lot of people go around looking for bias in everything. They will do or say anything to prove their point. I think this is called, "paranoia."

I know that I am not the smartest person in the world but I did not see any bias either way. I thought it was one of the most brutally honest films I have seen in years. Maybe it was a bit too honest.

It showed the breakdown of society. That "come the revolution" nothing will change, only the names. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. We are a a society of laws and rules be they of the government or our own personal code of conduct. When they break down we all end up in Hell.

The film shows that no matter if we see ourselves as individuals or as part of a collective we are all in this together whether we like it or not. We can be as selfish as we want but we all have to live together. We don't have to like each other but we cannot devolve into, "You are different, therefore I must destroy you."

The Dark Knight Trilogy forces us to ask the tough questions: Do we see Batman as a hero or as a vigilante? Do we see the villains as a product of society or as a direct result of Batman? Is Bruce Wayne a philanthropist or a member of the idle rich? If the government is corrupt then who can we turn to? If society breaks down where do I fit in? Is free energy really free?

The most brilliant thing about these films they hold a mirror up to society and more importantly to us as viewers. It exposes us for what we really are--human.

No comments:

Post a Comment