Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Funny Women

I think part of the controversy surrounding the HBO series Girls is because some idiots out there still think that women cannot be funny. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

Some men are okay with the idea of a female President. A lot of men don't mind having a female boss. There are those that didn't mind when women started getting tattoos and smoking cigars. However, they'll be damned if a woman is going to be funnier than them. That and become a member of Augusta National, but that's another story.

Part of it comes down to male insecurity. Comedy is one of the few things they try to keep for themselves.
I'm the first to admit that I have insecurities but I'm not going to get into them. Comedy isn't one of them though. I don't see myself as funny--just honest. Having said that I can hold my own against most non-professionals.

I don't have to be the funniest guy in the room. I don't see comedy as a competition. All  my life I have heard that women are looking for a man with a sense of humor. Okay, I actually read that in Playboy but that's another story for another day. I don't think it's always true. Sometimes I am serious around women but that doesn't work for me either.

I also don't have to be the funny one in a relationship. By relationship I mean friendship. With my friends I can play the Bud Abbott part--I set the joke up for my friends. I would say that I can be the straight man but we all know better don't we? I'm like the David Beckham of comedy. Did I mention that I am an excellent wing man? I'm available for parties and corporate events.

In my relationships with women, also just friends, I can do that as well but I guess that you would call that the George Burns part. Is that a bit sexist? I can never be sure.

Do men and women have different senses of humor? Maybe, but there probably some overlap. Someone needs to do a Venn diagram. Go ahead, I'll wait. I've heard that women don't like the Three Stooges but my mother loves them. That explains a lot.

I think there is a difference in the way men and women deliver comedy. If a man thinks he is funny he tends to be a joke machine, or should I say joke machine-gun? Especially around women.

A lot of women I know are more like snipers--they pick and choose their moments. You never see it coming and it makes a far bigger impact.

I do like a sense of humor. I think it can be a sign of intelligence. Did I mention that I also like smart women?

Some people say that if you can dance it means that you are good in bed. I don't know if that's true or not. Maybe it's a load of B.S. like the correlation between cherry stems and kissing. If you are a gymnast, male of female, it can make things more interesting.

I think that if you are smart and/or funny you are probably good in bed. However, if you got to bed with me you will be laughing for a completely different reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment