Monday, April 23, 2012

Mad Men "Far Away Places"

Or "The Electric Orange Sherbet Acid Test." I'm going to admit it up front--I got nothing. Well, not much anyway. I've never been to a Howard Johnson's and even more shockingly I've never dropped acid. Glad I got that off my chest.

We pretty much knew where this was going when Peggy's boyfriend said, "I'm your boyfriend, not a focus group." She goes to the movies and watches Born Free. Yet another bit of symbolism or some other term from a film class I didn't take.

While in the theater she meets a guy and they share a joint. In more ways than one. This was Peggy's version of  "Don's Magic Cab Ride" except that it was more magic for the guy than for Peggy. As far as we know that is. There is only so much you can get away with on basic cable.

The conversation with Ginsberg was totally trippy. I think that was the point. We were supposed to think that she was high. I kind of wish I was. Either it would make me more creative or it would be an excuse. It would probably just make me even more paranoid.

Then there was Roger and Jane tripping balls. You just know that if he makes it to the 1970s he's going to end up at a key party. We don't really know if that was Timothy Leary or if It was Roger just being a wiseass. Again. He's like Mad Men's version of Sawyer sometimes.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was Leary. If you go to he biography section to my right it is fill with books written by people who were nobodies then they got a shitload of drugs and all of a sudden they were hanging out with famous people. Or at the very least infamous.

They make it seem so easy; nobody+drugs=famous friends, parties, and sex. All you want. I actually thought about trying it one time as an experiment. I was going to hire someone to be handler/procurer because I just knew that the first time I tried to buy drugs I would end up in jail and it would all be over before it even started.

I was going to try everything but heroin and meth, but then again we all say that. That was part of the point of the handler. He or she would also be a spirit guide if I took LSD and/or a dance partner if I wound up at a rave. Or a fancy dress ball. I don't always have to lead.

Timothy Leary said, "Tune in, turn on, drop out." Denis Leary said, "I'd like to talk to complete idiots about nothing for fifteen hours straight." Dawson Leery said, "Whatever happens, happens." Okay, actually the Denis Leary quote was about cocaine but the sentiment is still a valid one.

Roger took one hell of a trip and at the end he lost his wife. Oh my God! Country song!

It also seems that the honeymoon is over for Don and Megan, or as Bert called it, "Love leave." I really was never all that crazy about orange sherbet myself but I did like Push Ups. Go figure.

As we learned in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist the Beatles had it all figured out; "I Want to Hold Your Hand." That is all we really want.

Have you ever wanted to leave you significant other stranded in a parking lot? We all have at some point. Some of us actually did it. Not me, but I did think about it more than once.

I know how Don feels--I've been given the "do over" more than once in school. I hate the Red Pen of Disgust.

Now that Roger is back on the market no one is safe. Watch out Joanie. "It's going to be a beautiful day."


No comments:

Post a Comment