Monday, April 2, 2012

The Bicycle Diaries

6-24-09
I saw a dude wearing a Panama Jack shirt today. I didn't know my bike would do eighty-eight miles per hour.

7-1-09
I saw that guy yesterday. The guy I don't want to be. He was at Borders and he was wearing Livestrong shoes, shorts, sleeveless shirt, band, and an Astana cap. Close enough. He was also carrying a copy of the new book about Lance.

7-8-09
I'm still trying to watch the Tour. I say trying because the random local commercials are trying my patience, and no I'm not trying your product. It reached a whole new level of insanity today. They cut to commercial just as Thomas Voeckler was about to cross the finish line. ARRGH!!! It was the first breakaway win of the Tour. At least it wasn't a bunch sprint, so it could've been worse. Had it been Armstrong there would've a mass exodus to DirecTV.

7-9-09
I bought a new helmet the other day. Those are always good days. I'm easy to please. The real trick is to get the straps situated. I'm not anal or OCD about those sorts of things. That's a good thing because I'd never be able to wear it.
It seems that the more expensive the helmet the more ways there are to adjust it and therefore more ways to get it wrong. It's kind of like a race car that way. You have to keep track of everything that you have done so that you know what to do when you screw it all up. It's like using your GPS to backtrack when you end up 400 miles off course and you were only going to the mall.
Then when you think you have it you go out for a test spin and it feels all wrong. That's because all your adjustments were made sitting on your couch. It may look good in the mirror but feels different when you are on the road. At the end of the day I just try to get it the best I can because I can't go back to the store for a new head.

No comments:

Post a Comment